Why Obtaining a Cisco Certificate will boost your career
The two most important requirements for career success are knowledge and experience. Experience we gain through work and on-the-job training. Knowledge we gain through learning. Obtaining a Cisco certificate can be a demonstration of both.
What is a Cisco CCNA Certificate?
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) Routing and Switching is a certification program aimed at entry-level network engineers. It not only demonstrates your knowledge of networking fundamentals but also improves your career opportunities. It is a testament of your expertise in installing, configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting both routed and switched networks.
To obtain CCNA certification, you need to complete some type of CCNA training and pass the CCNA examination. This certification is typically used by individuals with 1-3 years of experience working as network administrators, network specialists or network support engineers.
CCNA Certification – More Than Just a Certificate
Although there are still many people who believe certification is nothing more than a piece of paper, nothing could be further from the truth, especially in regards to the CCNA certification.
First let’s go over the difference between a certificate and certification. A certificate is merely a piece of paper, but certification is documented proof of your knowledge and expertise in a specific field. Completing a training program may be the start of reaching your career goals of working as a computer network professional, but it is only a small indicator of what you’ve learned and what type of experience you’ve gained in the process.
To obtain CCNA certification, you must not only have the training to back it up but must also have the knowledge and expertise required to pass the CCNA certification exam. As the saying goes, the certification is only as good as the experience that it accompanies, and to earn the certification, you must have the experience and knowledge.
Why is it Important to Have CCNA Certification?
There are various reasons why it’s important to have CCNA certification.
• Improves employment opportunities. Once you’ve earned the CISCO CCNA certification, it’s certainly not the end of your learning process. Because the CCNA certification can help boost your resume and improve your employment opportunities, you’re more likely to be hired because you have the certification. When you apply for a computer networking job and have CCNA certification, you’re showcasing your knowledge to a potential employer.
• Helps gain experience and knowledge. By working as a network administrator or network specialist, you’ll continue to learn more about computer networking and continue to gain experience that will help you advance your career. Your resume is also going to stand out in the crowd and let the company know that you’re an employee that will be an asset to the business. If you’re working as a Linux or Windows network administrator, you’re going to be part of a large networking system that will involve communicating with other network professionals. Having the CCNA certification can enable you to communicate with them in a knowledgeable manner.
• Opens doors for other careers. CCNA certification can also be a help to individuals who choose a career in sales. Have you ever had a salesperson try to sell you something and you knew that the salesperson had little interest in the product and even less knowledge of the product? If you, as a computer networking salesperson, have CCNA certification, you’ll know what you’re talking about and it will be portrayed to your customers. It will help you instantly gain trust in what you have to say.
• Certification proves knowledge. Years ago, it was much easier to obtain certifications, so certifications were looked on as just a piece of paper. However, to pass the CCNA exam today, you must have extensive knowledge of computer networking, switching, routing and networking protocols used today.
• Name brands important. We’re all familiar with name brands and how they help to sell products. This is very much the case with CCNA certification. Although CISCO offers various certifications, the CCNA consistently ranks on the top ten of most important certification in the IT industry. CCNA is a brand that network professionals instantly recognize.
• More technology requires more knowledge. We’re no longer a world filled with just computers. With technology advancing every year and bringing us cell phones, tablets, wireless networks and more, you need to have the knowledge that goes with the technology. CCNA certification gives you that knowledge. It also acts as a prerequisite for other certifications.
How Will CCNA Certification Boost My Career?
Obtaining CCNA certification is a way to demonstrate not only your knowledge but also your commitment to your job. Employers often prefer their network professionals be certified. The Australian Government Job Outlook indicates that employment for computer network professionals is expected to be very good from 2012 to 2017, with more than 96% finding full-time work in their profession.
Additionally, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that network and computer systems administrators could see an employment growth of 12% from 2012 to 2022. As of May 2012, these professionals earned a mean annual wage of $76,320. According to a 2012 IT Skills and Salary Report, computer network professionals who have CCNA certification have earnings approximately 24% higher than those without the certification.